it wouldn't be october if i didn't make a version of this colourful squash soup. two years ago i made this roasted pumpkin + butternut squash soup, last year i made this roasted apple + butternut squash soup & this year i am making a curried butternut squash + carrot soup. i guess it is becoming a fall tradition!
i am serving this soup with a side of blue circle foods happy fish! the fish can be served on top as a garnish or on the side for protein. happy fish is a healthy alternative to traditional fish sticks or frozen seafood, as it is made with sustainably raised salmon, sea salt & pepper. the fish contain simple ingredients & no fillers or preservatives (no antibiotics, added hormones, gluten, sugar + GMOs). i also think the shape makes them perfect for kids (or the kids at heart like myself). how cute are they? just make sure they are cooked from frozen so they hold shape. can't wait to dive into this soup on a cozy autumn day!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 pound carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- pumpkin seeds, to garnish
- blue circle foods happy fish, to garnish
- in a large pot over medium heat add the oil, garlic, ginger & onion. season with salt & pepper. saute until the onion begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- add the butternut squash & carrots. cook until softened, about 10 minutes. season with tumeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg & red pepper flakes.
- pour in the chicken stock & bring to a boil. reduce mixture to a gentle simmer, cover with lid & cook for 45 minutes.
- using an immersible hand blender, add the coconut milk & puree the soup until smooth.
- cook for an additional 15 minutes. ladle into bowls, top with pumpkin seeds & a happy fish!
note: to cook blue circle food's happy fish, simply heat oil to medium heat in a skillet. sear until the salmon is golden brown & cooked throughout, about 2 minutes on each side. season with salt & pepper. serve as a "crouton" to the soup or as protein on the side.