scones are such a simple, rustic, morning treat to whip up. they involve no kneading, chilling or rolling. with spring around the corner i wanted to create something fresh & lemony! i love adding citrus zest to my baked goods, as it really adds a fresh flavour to just about anything. i also incorporated the flavour of lavender into these scones, as lavender season is around the corner. while the snow doesn't seem to want to go away here, i am bringing the flavours of spring inside. i made these scones with bob's redmill organic all purpose flour & cane sugar, then topped them with a sparkling decorative sugar. the decorative sugar makes for the perfect crunch on top! i love topping all my baked goods with a sprinkle of this sugar.
for the scones
- 2 1/4 cups bob's red mill organic all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup bob's redmill cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon culinary lavender
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons bob's red mill decorative sparkling sugar, for sprinkling
for the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- lemon zest, for garnish
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- in a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, zest and lavender until evenly mixed.
- add the butter and work into the dough using your hands or a pastry cutter until a pea sized crumb mixture is formed.
- in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice and heavy cream until smooth, about 60 seconds.
- add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the dough comes together.
- turn out onto a floured surface and shape into a 1-inch thick circle.
- slice into 8 evenly sized wedges and transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- brush the top with cream and sprinkle with decorative sugar.
- bake until the top and edges are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- while the scones bake, prepare the glaze. beat sugar, vanilla extract & lemon juice together until smooth. set aside until ready to use.
- drizzle scones with glaze, garnish with lemon zest & let cool to room temperature before serving.
this post was created in partnership with bob's red mill!