the warm weather means it is time to start enjoying ice cream again! i can't stress enough how easy making ice cream from scratch really is. the only investment it require is an ice cream maker. i use the kitchen aid ice cream maker attachment. i have had it for a few years now & it works perfectly everytime. plus it is way easier to store then owning a separate machine! once you make the investment, you will be creating all sorts of delicious ice cream flavours at home. the key is to place the bowl in the freezer before bed & make the ice cream base before bed too. that way when you wake up, everything is ready to go & all you have to do is churn the mixture into ice cream! the base takes literally 10 minutes to make, so you can do it right before you go to sleep.
for the first ice cream recipe of the year, i am kickin things off with a green tea ice cream, topped with a homemade white chocolate fudge sauce. this sauce is so good, you'll be eating it with a spoon. it is like liquid white chocolate gold. this month also marks aiya's 130th anniversary! since 1888, aiya matcha has been producing premium japanese matcha green tea. the company has been owned by the same family since the beginning & i am so excited they asked me to be part of the celebration! i think a fun, matcha inspired ice cream sundae is the perfect way to celebrate this huge milestone. read all about the history of the company & it's may celebrations here. celebrate by making your own green tea ice cream sundae with the recipe below!
green tea ice cream sundae
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons aiya's matcha powder (i use the cooking grade blend)
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- white chocolate fudge sauce (see recipe below), for serving
- whipped cream, for serving
- sprinkles, for serving
- cherries, for serving
white chocolate fudge sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
green tea ice cream
- chill the ice cream bowl in the freezer overnight if required.
- in a saucepan over medium heat add the milk & matcha powder. bring to a simmer & remove from heat (do NOT boil). whisk until the matcha is evenly distributed.
- in a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and white sugar until combined.
- temper in a cup of the matcha milk, whisking vigorously to ensure the eggs do not cook.
- pour mixture back into the saucepan & cook on low heat until it thickens slightly.
- strain base into a mixing bowl and stir in whipping cream. let the ice cream base cool overnight in the refrigerator tightly covered with cling wrap. do not skip this step, ice cream will be too soft if the mixture isn't chilled properly.
- transfer mixture to desired ice cream bowl and churn for 20 minutes.
- transfer mixture to a freezer safe container and freeze until solid, about 4 hours.
- when ready to serve, scoop mixture into serving bowl & drizzle with white chocolate fudge. top with whipped cream, sprinkles & a cherry if desired!
white chocolate fudge sauce
- in a saucepan over low heat add the sugar, cream, corn syrup & butter. cook until the sugar fully dissolves, do not let mixture come to a boil.
- remove from heat & stir in the white chocolate chips, salt & vanilla.
- strain into a glass jar & refrigerate until ready to use. sauce can be served both hot and cold!