this MIGHT just be one of the cheesiest recipes you will come across. it's not just a simple cheddar cheese bun that you can find at the bakery or grocery store (BORING...), it is stuffed with cheese (kind of like pizza hut's stuffed crust, but not really at all). feel free to take the cheese flavours & measurements loosely (by loosely i mean add even more, never less). mozarella and cheddar were the two cheeses i had on hand when i decided to make these, but i can't imagine how good they would be with some smoked gouda or jalapeano cheddar (brb, going to the grocery store). EVERYTHING is better with cheese and in my opinion, the stinkier the cheese the better. while i was preparing the buns for the oven my boyfriend tried to say there was wayyyyy to much cheese. then he took a bite of the finished product and shut right up. this recipe has been adapted from yammie's noshery's peeta's stuffed cheese buns. it is inspired by the hunger games (a reference i don't really get) but i am down to try anything that is hunger games & cheese related.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 1-inch chunks of mozzarella cheese (to stuff inside)
- 1 cup grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment add the yeast and water. let sit for five minutes until the yeast begins to activate.
- add the sugar, butter, olive oil and one cup of flour on low speed.
- continue to add the remainder of the flour one cup at a time.
- turn mixer up to medium speed and let dough knead for 8-10 minutes, until a smooth elastic dough is formed.
- cover dough with a damp cloth and let rise for one hour (or until dough has doubled in size)
- once dough has risen preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- divide dough into 10 pieces (or smaller if you would like tiny cheese buns) and place one chunk of the mozzarlla in each ball, pinching the edges back up tightly (place the dough pinch side down on your banking sheet)
- sprinkle with cheddar cheese and parsley.
- bake for 15-20 minutes until the buns turn golden brown and the cheese begins to crisp slightly.
- eat accordingly (slathered in butter or more cheese)