with all the fresh rhubarb & strawberries growing wild this season, we are celebrating the launch of wusthof's urban farmer collection! a collection of knives inspired by the grow-your-own dining & the farm to table movement. designed for city dwellers with a passion for home gardening, the knives are crafted of stainless steel (ft. a high carbon content) & the wood handles are so beautiful, made from roasted european beechwood. aside from how much i love the look of a wood handled knife, they are also safer & easiser to handle when wet. stay tuned friends, as i will be hosting a giveaway to celebrate the launch of the urban farmer collection on instagram this week. now, let's talk about this not so familiar pie!
i know we have (almost) all had the classic strawberry + rhubarb pie, but have you ever had strawberry + rhubarb sour cream pie? i came across this dessert when a local bakery mixed up our order for a traditional strawberry + rhubarb pie, with this creamy concoction. we were all confused as to what pie we recieved, but a quick google search confirmed what dessert it was. the bakery version was good, but not as good as the recipe i am sharing with you today. this one features both a creamy filling & a crumble topping. as it bakes, the crumble topping soaks into the filling & once you bite into it.. oh my gosh. delicious. it is currently strawberry picking season, so if you picked too many strawberries for your basket, try this new favourite. enjoy!
for the filling
- 1 single crust pie dough, chilled
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries
for the topping
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold & cubed
for the filling
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. on a floured surface, roll out prepared pie dough to a 1/2 inch thick circle.
- gently lift dough & transfer to a standard size pie plate. trim edges & shape crust as desired. chill until ready to use.
- in a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, salt, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract & almond extract until smooth. fold in the rhubarb & strawberries.
- pour filling into the chilled pie shell. set aside while you prepare the crumble topping.
- for the topping mix together the sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg. using your hands, work in the butter until a pea sized crumb mixture is formed.
- generously sprinkle mixture over the filling.
- bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is firm but has a slight wobble in the centre. let cool to room temperature before serving!