i have no idea how we are already a week into december, but i should really get started on my christmas shopping! the advent calendars have begun & we have watched a netflix christmas movie every night since december 1st. this year i have two advent calendars, a tea one & a traditional chocolate one! i am like a little kid every time i get to open the tea one & discover what holiday tea we will be indulging in that night. with the holidays being in full swing, is it really the christmas season without bread pudding? i didn't think so!
bread pudding is so decadent & delicious. it is also one of those desserts you can prepare in advance & bake right before serving! anything that can be made ahead is a must when hosting a holiday meal. this bread pudding is not so traditional. it features eggnog & matcha! the green tea flavour works so well with the sweet custard flavour of eggnog. i used aiya matcha's cooking grade matcha blend, as it doesn't lose flavour when blended with other ingredients. because eggnog is so rich, i stuck to using a simple white bread base. however, if you want to take it to the next level feel free to use day old pastries or croissants! your guests are going to go crazy for this dessert!
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1/4 cup quality spiced rum
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon aiya's matcha powder (cooking grade blend)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 8 day old croissants, torn into bite size pieces
- powdered sugar, for serving
- white chocolate sauce, for serving
- whipped cream, for serving
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease a 9 by 12 baking dish.
- in a large mixing bowl whisk eggs & egg yolks. add the half & half, eggnog, rum, brown sugar, & vanilla extract. whisk until well incorporated.
- sift in the matcha powder, followed by the nutmeg & salt.
- toss croissants in the egg mixture until coated. transfer to prepared baking dish.
- bake for 40-45 minutes, until the center has set & the top is golden brown.
- let cool to room temperature before serving. when ready to serve dust with powdered sugar, a drizzle of white chocolate sauce & a dollop of whipped cream if desired.