one of my favourite things about summer is all the colourful fresh produce readily available. i just love the vibrancy it adds to my dishes! today i am partnering with Taylor Farm's to bring you a recipe for the ultimate summer side.
the warm weather makes for a lot of outdoor parties & barebecues. so whether you are hosting or attending a summer gathering, make this farro & arugula summer salad! this isn't your average salad. it features a variety of healthy summer ingredients such as starwberries, cucumber, corn & taylor farm's arugula. plus, the farro makes things extra hearty. for those of you not familiar with farro, it is a whole grain similar to quinoa & barley. the texture is very similar to barley, but the grain is shaped like rice. it certainly adds a unique bite to this colourful salad!
- 2 cups farro, cooked (see note)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups taylor farms arugula
- 1 cup cucumber, quatered & thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup taylor farm's crispy corn
- 2 tablespoons taylor farms pepitas
- in a large mixing bowl add the farro, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt & pepper. stir until evenly coated.
- add the arugula, cucumber, strawberries, red onion, feta cheese, corn & pepitas. toss until evenly combined.
- transfer to desired serving bowl & sprinkle with additional feta cheese if desired.
note: to cook the farro i used 6 cups low sodium chicken stock. simply bring stock & farro to a boil & then a gentle simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. strain & rinse with water to cool.