fall is just around the corner & i am so excited!!!! while everyone is soaking up those last couple weeks of summer, i am ready to bust out all my fall favourites. first up, a grilled cheese! but not just any grilled cheese, a fancy pants one made with wild mushrooms. you should know by now how much i love incorporating wild mushrooms into my recipes. when nordic ware asked me to create a unique sandwich in their new stove top grill pan, a balsamic & wild mushroom grilled cheese is the first thing that came to mind! every flavour works so well together; the balsamic, garlic, thyme & gruyere.. oh so good!
i like to serve it along side tomato soup as the soup is perfect for dipping into. grilled cheese & tomato soup are a classic for a reason! the stovetop sandwich & grill press makes cooking grilled cheese (& other delicious sandwiches) so easy! the design was inspired by cheese toasties served in europe. it is made in america of cast aluminum for ultra even heating & reduced cooking time. you can even grill chicken & steak on it. i also love how easy it is to clean & store all of nordic ware's stovetop pans. i have a couple of the waffle ones too. so much better then a bulky appliance. as someone who doesn't even own a microwave, i prefer stove top everything!
now get your fall on & enjoy this recipe for a fancy pants grilled cheese! xo
for the balsamic thyme wild mushrooms
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups wild mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon quality balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper, to taste
for the grilled cheese
- 8 slices sour dough bread
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 100 grams mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 100 grams gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 batch balsamic thyme wild mushrooms (see recipe above)
- balsamic reduction, for serving (optional)
for the balsamic thyme wildmushrooms
- in a skillet over low heat melt the butter.
- add the mushrooms, onion, garlic & thyme. cook until softened, about 15 minutes.
- add the balsamic, salt & pepper. cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- remove from heat & set aside until ready to use.
for the grilled cheese
- generously spread the butter on one side of each piece of sliced bread.
- layer 4 slices of bread with the mozzarella & gruyere cheese.
- top cheese with 1/4 cup of mushrooms & drizzle with balsamic reduction if desired.
- place second slice of bread butter side up and transfer to grill pan.
- over medium heat grill until bread is golden brown & cheese is melted. flip grill pan once during this process.
- serve immediately with a side of tomato soup for dipping!
this post was created in partnership with nordic ware! you can check out the grill pan here.