want an indulgent way to drink your green tea this summer? try my green tea caramel milkshake. it is so good & is super simple to whip up on a hot summer day. i used a homemade caramel sauce because i love making all sorts of caramel sauces, but if you wanted to skip that step feel free to use a storebought caramel! honey would also be amazing too.
to turn this from a regular milkshake to a green tea flavoured milkshake, i used [aiya matcha's cooking grade matcha]1. this blend is specially created for food & beverage products to ensure the matcha remains strong when mixed with other ingredients. a little goes a long way in this recipe. plus, matcha is good for you so you can feel a little healthy while drinking back this decadent shake!
for the green tea caramel milkshake
- 2 cups quality vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder (i use aiya matcha's cooking grade)
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce, plus more for topping (see recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream, for topping
for the caramel sauce
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- for the green tea caramel milk shake: in a blender add the ice cream, milk, matcha powder, caramel & vanilla. blend until smooth. drizzle desired serving glass with caramel sauce & pour in matcha mixture. top with fresh whipped cream, a pinch of matcha & additional caramel sauce if desired.
- for the caramel sauce: in a saucepot add the sugar and water over medium heat. do NOT stir while bringing mixture to a boil. continue to boil until the sugar turns a deep amber colour (approximately 5 minutes). be sure not to burn the caramel, it will go from a amber to burnt VERY quickly. remove from heat and immediately whisk in the heavy cream, butter, vanilla & sea salt. cool to room temperature before serving. store in the fridge for up to two weeks.