hope everyone had a great christmas!!!! i’m gonna keep this one short & sweet so i can get back to my holiday break. this is the perfect little bite sized appetizer for any party, like a new years party! whether you are hosting a new year’s eve bash, a new year’s brunch, or staying in & want to eat something fancy, try serving these little bite sized phyllo tarts. i have made these in both a mini muffin tin & a regular muffin tin. the mini muffin tin makes for a better one-bite hors d’oeuvre, but both will work! you can also make these ahead of time & re-heat right before serving to crisp up that phyllo again.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter + 1/2 cup melted butter, for brushing phyllo pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups wild mushrooms, thinly sliced (i used a mixture of shiitake & baby white mushrooms)
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 package phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (or asiago)
- in a sauce pan on low heat melt garlic, butter (two tablespoons) & olive oil. add the mushrooms, onions, thyme, salt & pepper. cook until the onions fully caramelize, about 30 minutes. set aside to cool.
- layer 8-10 sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each sheet with butter. leave a damp cloth over the phyllo dough not in use so it doesn’t dry out. cut the layered phyllo into 2-inch squares & place into muffin tins.
- fill each muffin tin with a tablespoon of filling. sprinkle with parmesan cheese flakes & additional thyme.
- bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.