today is finally the day!!!!!! BAKE THE SEASONS is officially out. oh wow, i couldn't possibly write into words just how excited (& a little nervous) i am. this book took me two long years of hard work to create & it is finally ready for everyone to hold in their hands. it features over 100 seasonal baking recipes, both sweet & savoury. think cakes, pies, cobblers, scones, pot pies, quick breads, gratins & so much more. it is available everywhere books are sold, both in store & online!
now there is only one way to celebrate a milestone (& a books birthday) like this & that way is with cake, obviously. today i am sharing the recipe for an olive oil & almond layer cake. my mom gifted me these little alphabet cookie cutters at christmas & i have been dying to use them. how cute are they?! flavour wise, the olive oil brings a richness to both the cake & frosting, but be sure to use extra virgin olive oil to produce the correct fruity flavours.
lastly, with the book launch i will be running a few instagram giveaways of my favourite kitchen items. spoiler: giving away the most gorgeous matte grey kitchen aid stand mixer as we speak, so head on over to instagram to get your entry in. now get to your closest book store or head on over to amazon to grab yourself a copy of BAKE THE SEASONS. enjoy a slice of cake while you are at it too!
thank you for all your support over the years with this blog & for your continued support with the cookbook, BAKE THE SEASONS. i hope you fall in love with baking from it as much as i did creating it!
for the cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extra
- 2/3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup whole milk
for the buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
for the cake
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease & line three 6-inch round cake pans. set aside until ready to use.
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter & sugar. add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- add the vanilla extract, almond extract & olive oil. beat until incorporated.
- in a separate bowl sift together the flours, baking powder & salt.
- alternte between adding the flour mixture & milk to the stand mixer bowl. beat until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- evenly divide mixture amongst the three prepared cake pans. bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top bounces back to touch.
- allow cakes to cool completely before flipping & frosting. if desired, trim dome off the top to produce a flat cake.
for the frosting
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the butter, sugar & salt. cream until light & fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- add the olive oil, vanilla extract, almond extract & whipping cream. beat an additional 60 seconds. frost cake as desired!