it's a healthy recipe day on the blog! i wanted to call this a hearty winter granola, but we're still in the heart of fall (& i didn't want everyone to freak out about the fact that winter is coming) so i will calm down on my winter excitement. seriously though, this past weekend in toronto was so cold that i had to bust out my winter jacket. i think this is the first time that my winter coat made it's debut appearance in october! anyways.. we can get back to winter later. this granola is packed with a lot of healthy & filling ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit, coconut & honey. i used my favourite farmhouse pottery's vermont made honey which you can find here. if you want to make this granola vegan (or you are super canadian & like maple better), sub equal parts maple syrup for the honey. if you want a more clustery granola, toss an egg white into the mixture. this is another recipe where you can easily substitute/swap ingredients. i chose cranberries & blueberries because of the winter vibe i was going for, but if you must.. you can use raisins.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup honey (can also sub maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- in a large mixing bowl add oats, walnuts, pecans, coconut, sugar, salt, cranberries & blueberries. stir a few times.
- in a separate bowl whisk honey & oil. add to the dry ingredients & toss until everything is evenly coated.
- pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the oats begin to turn a golden brown.
- eat hot or cold & store in an air tight container for up to two weeks.