every holiday season i make christmas sugar cookies & gingerbread men. it is a tradition that started many years ago with my family. this year i wanted to do something a little different with my usual gingerbread recipe: matcha. the ginger works so well with aiya's matcha powder. i absolutely loved how these turned out.
i like to make both little & big gingerbread men cookies. the little guys are perfect for snacking on, similar to ginger snaps. the big guys are the ones i attempt (key word: attempt) to frost with royal icing. while my piping skills have gotten a little better over the years, i still need to work on my royal icing! please send ALL the advice. wait till you see my gingerbread house craftsman ship.. haha
anyways, get the recipe below for matcha gingerbread men cookies! the not so classic christmas cookie recipe to bring to your next cookie exchange!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon aiya's cooking grade matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- royal icing, for decorating
- in the bowl of a standmixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter & brown sugar.
- add honey, egg, vanilla & matcha powder. beat until ingredients are well blended.
- in a separate mixing bowl sift baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt & flour.
- add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. beat until the dough comes together.
- turn out onto a floured surface & shape into a disk. wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate for two hours or overnight.
- roll out dough to approximately a 1/4 inch thick. cut into desired size gingerbread men.
- bake at 350 degrees until the gingerbread begin to puff & the edges very slightly brown. let cool before frosting.
- frost as desired with royal icing. desired using a ziplock bag or frosting tip!