hello 2016!!! i hope everyone had a happy new years. i intended for my first post of the year to be a healthy winter salad (for real, i did) but.. chocolate cake. this is similar to my one bowl chocolate cake recipe, with the addition of coffee & dark chocolate. this cake can be served plain, with a little sprinkle of powdered sugar OR you can drizzle it with some whiskey caramel sauce like i did. cause yolo, it's 2016!
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dutch dark cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brewed espresso or coffee, hot
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- get your hot cake's whiskey caramel sauce, for drizzling (optional)
- preheat oven to 325 degrees. in a mixing bowl beat raw sugar, oil and vanilla. add eggs and milk until well combined.
- sift in cocoa powder, flour, salt and baking soda until just blended.
- slowly pour in hot espresso/coffee and stir until the batter looks smooth & silky. fold in chocolate chips, dusted in flour to prevent sinking.
- bake in two 8-inch round cake pans or a 9x13 greased dish for 30-40 minutes.
- dust in powdered sugar & drizzle in caramel sauce once cake is fully cooled.