happy black friday, but more importantly.. happy birthday to my dad & i!!!!!!
i hope all my american friends had an amazing thanksgiving with friends & family. i am just a little jealous of all the turkey & stuffing i didn't get to eat yesterday. every year my dad & i's birthday falls on or around thanksgiving, so there is a lot to celebrate this time of the year. i will be spending the day black friday shopping with my mom (we can call it christmas shopping, but it usually ends up being a treat yo self kind of day if you know what i mean), followed by a dinner event with matty matheson! i can't wait to see what he is going to cook up tonight. i know it is going to be delicious! almost delicious enough to make up for the fact that us canadian's didn't get to celebrate our thanksgiving yesterday too!
anyways, enough about birthday celebrations & more about this beautiful bundt cake. now that american thanksgiving is over it is officially the christmas season! we started decorating the house yesterday & the stockings are hung. i've also began my holiday baking which includes this glazed pomegranate + chocolate bundt cake. how perfect is pairing pomegranate with chocolate? but what makes this cake even more perfect is pairing the cake with balzacs winter blend coffee. not only do i like to serve this dessert with a hot cup of seasonal coffee, but the winter blend coffee is used in the cake batter as well. you should never make chocolate cake without a hint of coffee in the batter as it helps enhance the flavour of the cocoa powder. this results in a more chocolaty tasting cake, plus it matches the flavour profiles of balzacs winter blend coffee, with its notes of sweet plum & dark chocolate. side note: how beautifully wintery is balzac's packaging? i am such a sucker for seasonal designs!
now lets get baking because tis the season to be covered in flour & icing sugar every single day. oh i can't wait!
for the cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup balzac's winter blend coffee, brewed strong
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups turbinado sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat yogurt, plain or vanilla
for the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1-2 tablespoon pomegranate juice
- pomegranate seeds, for topping
for the cake
- grease bundt pan & set aside. preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- in a sauce pan over medium heat add the butter, coffee, pomegranate juice & cocoa powder. stir until the butter is fully melted & the ingredients are well blended. set aside & let cool to room temperature.
- in a large mixing bowl add the sugar. sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- once the chocolate mixture has cooled whisk in the vanilla, eggs & yogurt.
- add mixture to the dry ingredients & beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- pour batter into prepared bundt pan & bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top bounces back to touch. let cool completely before removing from pan.
for the glaze
- while the cake cools, prepare the glaze. stir together the powdered sugar, butter & pomegranate juice one tablespoon at a time. mix until smooth.
- if mixture appears too thick, add additional pomegranate juice until desired consistency is achieved.
- pour glaze over cake & sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
- serve with hot cup of coffee!
this post was created in partnership with balzacs! enter promo code MODESTMARCE to recieve 10% off the winter blend. xo