FINALLY, real fall weather. we just got back from a trip to new york city & it was so hot. although i wish the trip would have lasted longer (i'll be sharing a post all about it this week), i am excited to return home to cooler temperatures so i can soak up all things fall. i spent my first day back home baking up a variety of homemade breads & this cozy pumpkin + tomato dip. it is the perfect recipe to welcome fall!
the dip has a middle eastern vibe as it is spiced with cumin, coriander & tumeric. the base of it is tomato, so it is important to use quality tomatoes such as pomi usa. pomi's tomatoes are fresh & 100% italian. in this recipe i used a mix of the strained tomatoes for smoothness & the chopped tomatoes for texture. the addition of pumpkin puree adds an extra kick of fall flavour & silkiness. i paired the dish with a variety of colourful vegetables to serve as an appetizer, but serving the dip with various breads & pita works too (similar to fondue).
happy october! xo
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 can POMI chopped tomatoes (400 grams)
- 1/2 cup POMI strained tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- pumpkin seeds, to garnish
- fresh cilantro or parsely, to garnish
- crumbled feta, to garnish
- crunchy vegetables, for serving
- in a saucepan over medium heat sautee the olive oil, garlic & shallots. season with salt & pepper. cook until the shallots begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- add the cumin, coriander, turmeric & red pepper flakes.
- whisk in the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree & pumpkin puree. season with salt & pepper.
- simmer over low heat (covered) for an hour, until the sauce has cooked down.
- garnish with pumpkin seeds, cilantro & feta. serve warm with crunchy vegetables for dipping!