last summer my boyfriend & i had a garage sale in an attempt to make some money/get rid of our old junk. i thought it would be a great opportunity to sell some of my baked goods, so i made banana muffins and these blueberry crumble muffins. the garage sale ended up being a COMPLETE failure, however the muffins saved the day! they were just about the only thing we sold and the one thing that intrigued passer bys to check out our sale. while these muffins use an oil based instead of butter, the buttery crumble topping makes up for it! the smell these bad boys produce coming out of the oven is pure heaven:)
ingredients: (makes 12 muffins)
for the muffin
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk [milk, buttermilk or greek yogurt could be substituted]
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest [optional]
- 1 cup fresh blueberries [1.5 cups if you like them super berry]
for the crumble
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- for the muffins: in a mixing bowl add the oil, raw sugar, egg, vanilla, and almond milk. mix until ingredients are well combined.
- sift in flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest until JUST combined, do not over mix. stir in blueberries.
- evenly distribute batter amongst a 12 tin greased muffin tray.
- for the crumble: in a separate bowl, add the flour, raw sugar, butter, and cinnamon. mix with your hands until a coarse sandy texture is formed.
- sprinkle crumbled on top of each muffin.
- bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until crumble begins to brown slighty.