now that i have an ice cream maker & can make all sorts of flavours this summer, it only seemed fitting to make a fudge sauce to grace that homemade ice cream with! growing up, a mcdonald's hot fudge sundae after a soccer game was everything. now, here is my grown up version of that same nostalgic sundae adding a touch of sea salt to the mix. because i am older now, adding sea salt makes it seem more sophisticated #adulting. drizzle on homemade vanilla ice cream, your favourite store bought flavour, or let's be real.. just eat it with a spoon because it is that good.
anyways, i am going to keep this one short because i have literally been elbows deep in buttercream this week baking & frosting a ton of cakes. can not wait till you see the one i am posting to the blog next week.. spoiler alert: it is earl grey flavoured, eek!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 5-6 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped (i used lindt dark chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- in a saucepan over medium heat add the sugar, cream, corn syrup & butter. cook until sugar fully dissolves, do not let mixture come to a boil.
- stir in chocolate, salt & vanilla. once chocolate is fully incorporated, remove from heat.
- strain into a glass jar & refrigerate until ready to use. sauce can be served both hot and cold!
- sprinkle with a touch of sea salt when serving over vanilla or chocolate ice cream.