around the holiday's A LOT of cookies go in & out of my oven! i am sure we can all agree with that. while i usually make a more traditional cookie like gingerbread & sugar cookies, my mom makes these italian butterball cookies. they are so buttery & delicious with just a hint of sweetness from the powdered sugar dusting. i call them snowball cookies because that is exactly what they look like to me, one big buttery snowball! yum. plus, when you are done making them your kitchen is covered in snow.. errr powdered sugar. i swear, everytime i just touch a bag of powdered sugar it explodes everywhere.
today i am teaming up with wayfair for the #guestwiththebest campaign they are hosting to bring you the perfect edible holiday gift! because you should never show up to a party empty handed, i always make it my job to bring a dessert as my hostess gift. it gives the hostess one less thing to worry about & they can snack on all the leftover cookies once everyone is gone (if there are any left)! these cookies are also great for a cookie swap exchange party! check out wayfair for more hostess gift ideas & for cute ways to package up these cookies!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar + more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- in the bowl of a standmixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter & icing sugar until fluffly.
- add in the vanilla followed by the flour, sea salt & nutmeg.
- fold in the walnuts & add the water if dough seems a bit crumbly.
- roll into bite sized rounds & bake for 12-15 minutes.
- let cool to touch & roll in the additional powdered sugar.
- sample one (or two) & package up for your next holiday party host!