i hope everyone had a lovely mother's day weekend! my mom came up to the city & we made her a huge brunch which included farm eggs, bacon, home fries, blueberry pancakes & coffee galore. i think it is safe to say we spoiled her. for dessert & for a little snack on the drive home, i made one of her favourite cakes... zucchini cake! between her & my aunt, i have consumed a LOT of zucchini cake in my days. sometimes it takes a little bit of convincing to get people to try a cake full of a vegetables, but it is the most flavourful & moist cake there is. this recipe features king arthur flour's white whole wheat flour. it is so easy to bake with as it is much milder in texture, colour & flavour than regular whole wheat flour. regular whole wheat flour can be a little too overpowering when baking with. another interesting feature of the white whole wheat flour is that it is identity-preserved, this means it is traceable from field to flour & raised with sustainable farming practices. i used half white whole wheat flour & half all-purpose flour in this recipe, my family didn't even notice the difference.
for the cake:
- 2 ¼ cups raw sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini, freshly grated
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1.5 cups king arthur white whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups king arthur all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vietnamese cinnamon
for the glaze:
- 1 cups glazing sugar (or powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons heavy cream
for the cake
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease a large bundt pan.
- in a large mixing bowl add the raw sugar, oil, eggs & vanilla. stir until eggs are pale yellow in colour.
- add in the grated zucchini & pineapple. mix until well combined.
- in a separate bowl, sift both flours, baking soda, salt & cinnamon.
- add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients & mix until just combined.
- pour into the bundt pan & bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- let cool completely before flipping & glazing.
for the glaze
- in a mixing bowl, add the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice & cream. stir until a smooth glaze is formed. if glaze looks runny, add more sugar. if glaze looks too thick, add more cream.
- pour over bundt cake & serve.
this post was created in partnership with king arthur flour! the following products were used to create this recipe: king arthur unbleached all purpose flour, king arthur white whole wheat flour, vietnamese cinnamon, glazing sugar, milk glass cake plate, swirl bundt pan, box grater & wisconsin mixing bowl set.