welcome back for part two of rhubarb week! since i bought so much rhubarb last week at the farmers market, i was able to whip up two different desserts. if you are anything like me, when it comes to a crumble or cobbler you try to scoop a little extra of the topping onto your plate. i mean, come on. the best part of any crumble is the mixture of buttery sweet oats. when i was little and my aunt would make me her apple crisp, i would only eat the topping & leave the apple slices on my plate. what little kid really wants visible fruit in a dessert?! well i call these strawberry rhubarb oat bars, it really reminds me of my dream fruit cobbler. it has crumbled oats on the bottom AND top of the fruit filling. i literally ended up eating half of it as soon as i finished taking the photos of it (should i have kept that to myself? true story). BUT since it is called oat bars, it's automatically healthy right? right?! this recipe has been adapted from smitten kitchen, one of my original favourite food bloggers:)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup diced rhubarb
- 1 cup diced strawberrys
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- juice from half a lemon
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- in a mixing bowl stir oats, flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and butter until a crumb texture is formed.
- press half the crumble into a greased 8 by 8 baking dish and form a crust.
- add strawberries and rhubarb to the baking dish and sprinkle with cornstarch, remaining sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- finish by topping the fruit with the remaining oat mixture and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- let cool to room temperature before slicing into.
- top with powdered sugar if desired.