my zucchini plant is starting to bloom flowers & i know this means home grown zucchinis are on the way! we didn't plant a big garden this year as we had a lot of other landscaping to take care of first, but i am excited for what is to come in late july & august. my favourite thing to make with fresh zucchini is fried fritters! my mom made them growing up & now each summer we fry up several batches of them together. my friends & family give us batches of fritters too. i love seeing everyones twist on these because no two fritters ever taste the same. some incorporate the zucchini flower, some incorporate cheese & so on (FYI i am a cheese person). this year to lighten mine up, i added a black pepper harvest snap twist in replacement of some of the flour. harvest snaps snapea crisp are light, airy & crisp so they add a great texture to the mix. i am so excited to finally share these to the blog as i was always worried the photos wouldn't do them justice! but seeing these images makes me want to dive in & eat the whole batch to myself... wait, i already did:) what about you?
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 tablespoon basil, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup romano or parmesan, grated
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup black pepper harvest snaps, crushed
- salt & pepper, to taste
- canola oil, for frying
- sprinkle the zucchini with salt & strain out as much of the liquid as you can. it is important for the water to be drained as much as possible so the fritters don't end up soggy.
- in a mixing bowl add the zuchinni, basil, garlic, eggs, cheese & milk. mix well.
- sift in the flour, black pepper harvest snaps, salt & pepper.
- heat a skillet over medium heat & generously coat it in oil (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep)
- scoop a spoonful of the dumpling mixture and fry on each side for 60 seconds. if the dumplings are thick, bake them in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- season with salt & enjoy!