my boyfriends work had a charity bake sale this past week & he volunteered to bring in some baked goods. i didn't want to go with the standard bake sale items (cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies, brownies.. BORING) so i thought making salted turtle bars would stand out (not that it's a competition.. okay it's always a competition). they did. i consider these a buttery + turtley twist on the classic magic bars, another favourite of mine. i am starting to realize anything that involves condensed milk is my favourite. the touch of sea salt offsets all the sugary goodness just perfectly. have a good weekend! if you make these... sorry in advance for the torturous hours while you wait for these to cool. xo.
LEVEL: very modest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chunks
- 3/4 cup skor bits/chips
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- mix flour, sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a mixing bowl. using your hands (similar to making a pie dough), work the butter in until a crumbly dough is formed.
- transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish & shape into a crust. add a teaspoon of water if the dough is a bit dry.
- bake the crust for 10-12 minutes.
- while the crust bakes, whisk the remaining vanilla, condensed milk & egg.
- pour mixture over the crust, and sprinkle with pecans, chocolate, skor & sea salt.
- bake until the top begins to brown & the filling begins to set, about 20 minutes.
- let bars cool completely before slicing (refrigerated bars cut best).