LIL GINGY'S! which are actually just a cross between ginger snaps & speculoos cookies. what exactly is the difference between the two cookies?! i mean, they are both crispy and contain a whole lot of different spices. these may look slightly christmassy, but its only because the gingerbread man was the smallest cookie cutter i had on hand! i have seen ginger snaps in all different shapes.. hearts, circles, and even cats [from trader joes of course]. what inspired me to make these was my love for cookie butter, also known as speculoos. trader joe's introduced me to this little jar of heaven, but i was never really sure what to spread it on. i usually just ended up eating it by the spoonful, then i thought i will make cookies to dip it in or sandwich it between! it's the best of both worlds, a double cookie butter flavour in one perfect little bite. i will leave the cookie butter sandwich as an optional finishing touch as these cookies are perfect on their own, dipped in tea. also because we aren't all lucky enough to have a trader joe's near!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 jar cookie butter/ speculoos (optional)
- in a mixing bowl cream butter, raw sugar and brown sugar.
- mix in egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- sift in baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, black pepper, and flour. mix until combined.
- wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for a couple hours, up to over night.
- once dough has firmed up in the fridge, roll out and sprinkle generously with flour (i found it to be a sticky dough).
- cut in desired shapes and bake at 350 degrees for 4-6 minutes, until the edges begin to brown.
- optional: let cookies cool completely and spread cookie butter in the middle and roll into rainbow sprinkles.