so i told myself my first post of october was going to be pumpkin based (& pretty much every other post after that), but here i am posting a recipe for black bean turkey chili. this is a meal i make all fall & winter long. idk, maybe i wanted to ease you guys into october before i went all pumpkin spice crazy on the blog. i have made this recipe hundreds of times & have subbed in all different sorts of beans. black beans are by far my favourite & even though i love chickpeas, i HATED chili with chickpeas (ugh gross, just gross). i like the small size, plus i prefer my chili not to be overly beany, hense all the vegetables included. this is a super healthy chili thanks to the lean ground turkey. you can of coarse make this with beef, but i don't eat red meat. my sister for the longest time refused to make her chili with ground chicken or turkey claiming it was "weird". kind of like those weirdo's who won't eat a turkey burger. she finally concluded it taste the exact same (actually better) when so many spices are involved anyways & no longer uses beef. if you want to make this a vegetarian chili, swap out the turkey for another can of beans! if you want it spicer, add more chili flakes & cayenee pepper. i am a baby when it comes to spice & this is about all i can handle. enjoy your weekend. i'll be going to toronto's nuit blanche festival tonight followed by the pumpkin patch tomorrow to spend all my life savings on mini pumpkins. insert ALL the excited emoticons here
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 450 grams ground turkey
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 jar strained tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (add more if you like it spicy)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- in a large pot, over medium heat add red pepper, green pepper, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper. cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- in a separate frying pan brown your meat. seasoning with olive oil, salt & pepper.
- once meat is fully cooked & vegetables are soft, add the turkey to the pot.
- add the remaining ingredients starting with beans, strained tomatoes, water, chicken stock, chili powder, dried oregano, paprika, cumin, coriander, cayenne, chili flakes, bay leaf, salt & pepper.
- bring to a boil & then immediately reduce to medium low. cover the pot with the lid & simmer for 1-2 hours.
- remove bay leaf & serve with toppings of your choice! guacamole, sour cream, cheese, corn chips, cilantro.. the possibilities!