this weekend was a very pumpkin filled weekend. i fried up these pumpkin spiced donuts, sipped on a pumpkin spice latte & spent a gloomy fall sunday afternoon at the pumpkin patch! i want to tell you ALL about the pumpkin patch, but i will do so in a separate post because it was so much fun that it deserves a post of its own (& because i took a million photos). these are a classic yeast based donut, not the cakey baked style pumpkin donuts i keep seeing online. so if you are like me & would rather a fried over baked donut than i made these for YOU. the donut itself contains pumpkin pie spices & the glaze is made with real pumpkin to get that perfect orange colour. these would be a fun addition to your thanksgiving table or to eat along side some fresh hot apple cider. a special thank you to fig & blue for the recipe help & donut inspiration! you can check out his blog here.
for the donut
- 3/4 cup whole milk, warm to touch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, melted & cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- oil, for deep frying
for the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment add milk, sugar, salt and yeast. let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast activates.
- once the yeast has activated add shortening, egg and vanilla. mix until the egg has broken up (may have to do this manually with a fork).
- sift in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice and ginger. mix until a dough has formed & knead for 6-8 minutes. let dough rest in a greased bowl covered for 1-2 hours, or until it doubles in size.
- once the dough has doubled in size, roll out dough to a 1/2 inch thickness & cut into desired doughnut shapes.
- in a cast iron skillet or pot heat two inches of oil between 350 & 375 degrees. drop doughnuts in two to three at a time & fry for 20 seconds on each side.
- remove from oil & transfer to a towel lined baking tray. repeat until you have run out of dough.
- let donuts slightly cool while you make the pumpkin glaze.
- for the glaze whisk sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, milk & vanilla until smooth. if the glaze is too thick, add a touch more milk. if the glaze is too thin add a touch more icing sugar.
- finish off with some fall sprinkles.