a must do before the summer is over (can you believe we are already a week into august?!?) is to make yourself a spiked granita! i like to think of granitas as an adult snow cone made with fresh fruit. you don't need any sort of ice cream maker, just a freezer safe pan & a fork. to keep things on the healthy side, i substituted the traditional simple syrup for zevia's lemon lime twist soda. it adds a ton of citrus flavour & sweetness, all while being sugar free!
i opted for fresh raspberries, but fresh strawberries would work in this recipe too. just be sure to strain the mixture before you freeze it to remove any seeds! while it can be a little time consuming, it is super simple to make & is worth every second that goes into it.
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup zevia's lemon lime twist soda
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup quality vodka
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- fresh mint, to garnish
- in a blender add the raspberries, soda, lemon juice & vodka. blend until pureed.
- strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove & discard seeds. transfer mixture to a freezer safe 9x12 inch baking dish.
- place mixture in the freezer & let freeze for 60 minutes. scrape mixture towards the center using a fork to break up any large chunks. repeat every hour until the mixture is fully frozen & flaky.
- keep in the freezer until ready to serve.
- when ready to serve, scoop into desired serving dish & garnish with a spring of fresh mint!
this post was created in partnership with zevia!