CONFETTI CAKE! this month my sister is celebrating her 27th birthday, so she deserves a sprinkle cake. growing up funfetti cake mix was our all time favourite boxed cake, with rainbow bit vanilla frosting. thanks to molly yeh i was able to recreate it with a cake made from scratch, sorry betty. i like to call this a more grown up version of a boxed funfetti cake! is that such a thing? an adult sprinkle cake?! it is now. the recipe has been adapted from food52, where i aimed to make it slightly less artificial tasting, switching in pure vanilla extract and raw sugar. oh and what is that black dog like creature making an appearamce in my ingredient shot? that is my chihuahua pomeranian buddy holly, stealing the spotlight.
ingredients (makes two nine inch cakes)
for the cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar
- 4 egg whites (you can use the whole egg, but the cake won't be pure white)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
for the frosting
- 1.5 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar (if you like it really sweet, add more!)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- in the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter and sugar.
- add the eggs and mix until light and fluffy.
- mix in vanilla and oil until combined.
- in a separate bowl sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. gradually add to stand mixer at low speed.
- once flour is JUST combined into the wet ingredients, add the heavy cream.
- fold in the sprinkles and pour batter evenly into two well-greased cake pans.
- bake until lightly golden brown on top, about 20-25 minutes.
- let cakes cool completely before flipping onto a cooling rack.
- for the frosting add all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy, about 8-10 minutes.
- decorate as desired.