every summer growing up my mom and i would go to the local farmers market on a weekly basis. if i were lucky, i mean REAL lucky, she would let me pick up one of my favourite desserts from the bakery; strawberry shortcake. now this wasn't a typical strawberry shortcake made with a vanilla biscuit, oh no. it was thin layers of moist vanilla chiffon cake, fresh strawberry jam and whipped cream. it is still one of the best shortcakes i've ever had. i have yet to be able to recreate it in its entirety, but i have made a lot of strawberry shortcakes since and this one is pretty damn good. i decided to make one for my mom for mother's day this year, for memories sake and because my mom loves strawberry shortcake too.. like mother like daughter.
for the cake
- 1.5 cups pastry flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2/3 tablespoon baking powder
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
for the whipped cream
- 1.5 cups cold whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 pints strawberries, sliced thin.
- preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- in a mixing bowl sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- in a separate bowl beat milk, oil, vanilla, and egg yolks.
- add flour mixture to wet ingredients until combined.
- in the bowl of a stand mixer whip egg whites to medium peaks. fold whipped egg whites in gently to cake batter (do not deflate the whites too much)
- evenly separate batter into two greased 8 inch baking dishes. bake for 20-25 minutes.
- once the cakes have fully cooled, flip them out of the baking dish and carefully slice them in half.
- make your whipping cream by beating cream, sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- assemble shortcake starting with a layer of cake, whipped cream and strawberry slices, repeat 4 times.