can you believe it is december this week?! WHAT. this weekend we put up our first ever christmas tree (a real one!) & decorated it with the cutest forest animal ornaments. it goes with the rest of the house since i have a slight obsession with foxes & deers. seriously though, fox figures everywhere. also, who watched the girlmore girls revival?! i pretty much spent all of friday binge watching it & not sure how i feel about the ending. BUT i don't want to spoil it for all you slow pokes so let's just skip on over to this mac & cheese!
this mac & cheese dish is SUPER cheesy because i used an extra old white cheddar cheese (& lots of it). since it is the holidays, i made it a touch richer with the addition of heavy cream but feel free to use whole milk for the whole recipe. instead of doing the traditional topping of bread crumbs tossed in butter, i used harvest snaps! they have so many flavours to choose from. i went with the black pepper blend but feel free be bold & use your favourite (wasabi?!?!). just make sure to have an extra bag on hand for snacking purposes cause i ate a whole bag in the process;)
happy ALMOST december! get those advent calenders ready.
- 1 box of short pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 egg
- 3 cups grated extra old white cheddar, plus more for topping
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 bag of black pepper harvest snaps, crushed
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- cook pasta as directed on box until al dente. strain & set aside.
- in a separate pot over medium heat add the butter, flour & mustard powder. stir constantly & cook until a smooth roux forms, about 5 minutes.
- add the whole milk, heavy cream & bay leaf. simmer for ten minutes.
- remove bay leaf & temper in the egg, followed by the grated old white cheddar cheese.
- add the strained, cooked pasta to the pot & stir until evenly coated. if the pot is not oven safe, transfer to a baking dish.
- top with additional cheese & crushed black pepper harvest snaps.
- bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly & golden brown.
this post was created in partnership with harvest snaps! thank you for supporting the brands that keep me doing what i love. xo