i have been making a lot of cookies lately. most cookies though, you never get to see because justin & i devour them before i even think to take out my camera. go figure, my favourite treat to eat is my least favourite thing to photograph! but i can't not share the shortbread chocolate cookies i have been making non-stop for the last six months. plus, this farmhouse pottery cheese stone makes for the prettiest cookie stone too. you can serve just about anything on it & it is oven safe!
shortbread was my absolute favourite cookie growing up. now that i have turned them into a cross between shortbread & chocolate chunk cookies, it really doesn't get much better then this. for this particular recipe i used a large semi-sweet chocolate chips, but if you want to kick it up a notch try swapping out the chocolate chips for equal parts mars bars or rolo chunks. it is pure heaven. i am constantly running to the corner store to get more candy bars to make another batch..
i bake the cookies in the smart oven™ air by breville. because i prefer to portion, freeze & bake the cookies fresh each night, the smart oven is the perfect small batch alternative. it works just as good as my full sized oven as it features a super convection setting. this means it has a two speed fan (regular/super) for more controlled cooking and baking. everything comes out perfectly baked, everytime! i am excited to try out the air frying setting next, as my mom got one over christmas & has become obsessed with it. check out all the details on the the smart oven™ air by breville here & the recipe below!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coarse pink salt
- in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment beat butter & sugar until combined. add in vanilla extract.
- sift in the flour & sea salt. beat until dough comes together.
- if dough is dry and crumbly, add a touch of water one tablespoon at a time until it presses together.
- fold in chocolate chips.
- scoop dough onto lined cookie sheet, approximately one tablespoon sized potions. sprinkle with a pinch of coarse pink salt & let chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until the edges JUST begin to brown. let cool to room temperature before serving.