who else is as excited for blood orange season as i am? they are my favourite seasonal citrus this time of year & belong in everything. this week, i even made a salad dressing recipe using blood oranges which i will be sharing soon too! for those who have never had a blood orange before, they are an orange with a beautifully deep red flesh. the flavour is sweet, but slightly bitter. you can eat them as is, or you can juice them to use in drinks, baked goods or savoury treats.
this cocktaill is inspired by all things winter citrus! it features a mix of freshly squeezed blood orange juice & tangarine juice. the tangarine juice adds an extra hit of sweetness to offset the bitterness of the blood oranges. lasty, i add a few drops of orange bitters & a splash of zevia's sugar free orange soda. this recipe works great with or without the bourbon! but in the winter time, a little bourbon never hurt anyone.
- 2 ounces quality bourbon
- 2 ounces blood orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce tangerine juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce zevia's orange soda
- 2-3 dashes orange bitters
- tangerine slices, to garnish
- fill a cocktail shaker with ice. add the bourbon, blood orange juice, tangerine juice, orange soda & bitters. shake until mixture is well combined.
- fill desired cocktail glass with ice & strain mixture over ice.
- garnish with slices of tangerine. cheers!