this year i am taking full advantage of ontario’s peach season. last year… not so much. i happened to be visiting home in niagara the same weekend peach festival was taking place in niagara-on-the-lake. knowing my love for peaches & pie, my mom suggested we go. we got there early afternoon and immediately got in line to get our self a pie. shortly after, we heard through the grape vine that the last pie was just purchased. WHAT! so disappointing. pretty much all that was left at peach festival was burgers, fries & live music. so this year instead of risking going, only to see the customer ahead of me swipe the last pie (the peach pie equivalence to the Seinfeld chocolate babka episode), i decided to take matters into my own hands! i started off by making these peach cobblers last week & today i bring to you a raw sugar peach galette! of course if you wish this can be made into a pie, but i love the rustic feel of an imperfect galette. also, i finally did a pie crust made of half butter + half shortening & i am NEVER going back. um, why didn’t i do this sooner?! thank you ina garten aka barefoot contessa for the perfect crust recipe.
for the crust (adpated from the barefoot contessa)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons ice cold water (more or less as needed)
for the filling
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe peaches (about 5 large, 7 small)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- begin by making the dough: using a food processor pulse the flour, salt and sugar a few times.
- add the cubed butter, shortening and vanilla, pulse until a crumb like mixture forms.
- add the cold water one tablespoon at a time until the crumbs begin to come together. turn out onto a pastry board and shape dough into a disk using your hands. if you added too much water, add a bit more flour. if the dough seems a bit dry, add a bit more water.
- wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or for best results overnight.
- for the filling mix peaches, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and corstarch in a bowl. toss until evenly coated and combined.
- once you are ready to assemble, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- roll out your dough on parchment paper and add peach filling, leaving a little over a 1-inch border around the edges.
- fold the edges of the crust over the peaches and brush with egg wash if desired. sprinkle dough with raw sugar and bake for 30 minutes.
- serve hot or cold! enjoy!