over the last couple years, i have started to incorporate buckwheat flour into my sweet baking. oh just WAIT till you see the cookie recipe i developed for my cookbook! the best. april 2019 can't come soon enough.
growing up, i loved buckwheat crepes (ok i loved all crepes, but especially the savoury buckwheat variety). those savoury crepes are what inspired this breakfast recipe for waffles! these waffles are a hearty & healthy treat mixed with a touch of cocoa nibs for a rich chocolate flavour. using cocoa nibs is a much healthier option then using chocolate chips, but if you don't have cocoa nibs on hand, feel free to replace it with your favourite dark chocolate chips. i also like to top my waffles with a mound of whatever fresh berries i have on hand & a healthy drizzle of maple syrup! oh i can't wait to wake up sunday morning & make these. happy weekend!
- 1 1/4 cups bob's red mill organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bob's red millorganic whole grain buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa nibs
- fresh berries, for serving
- whipped cream, for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
- in a large mixing bowl sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon & salt. set aside until ready to use.
- in a separate mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks, butter, milk & vanilla extract until combined.
- add the flour mixing & stir until the batter just comes together. a few lumps are okay!
- in a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites to medium peaks. gently fold egg whites into the batter, followed by the cocoa nibs.
- heat waffle iron to high & cook as intructed on the waffle maker, about 2 minutes.
- serve immediately. top with berries, whipped cream, maple syrup & a garnish of cocoa nibs.
this post was created in partnership with bob's red mill!