okay, but is it REALLY summer without freshly picked strawberries & funnel cakes? i feel like this is one dessert people are afraid to make at home because it seems a little intimidating for a home baker. let me tell you, these funnel cakes are so easy to make! the hardest part is not eating them all as they come out of the fryer. as a kid, i was obsessed with funnel cakes. always topped with gooey strawberry filling & a mound of vanilla ice cream. the best days of summer were those spent at the carnival with cotton candy in one hand & a funnel cake in the other hand. bonus points if you went on the ride & didn't get sick from all the sugar! now this treat has become something i like to make at home on special summer occasions (not that you need a special occasion to enjoy a funnel cake).
this recipe features two amazing products by PADERNO: the Auto Drain Deep Fryer & the Power Blender. PADERNO products are made to enhance every beautiful moment of the cooking journey. the blender is so powerful & smooth, it makes blending anything a breeze! the deep fryer has an automatic oil drainage system which makes for a quick clean up &a easy storage of oil. i always use a flavourless oil (such as canola or vegetable oil) & keep the used oil in a separate glass jar for deep frying purposes until it needs to be replaced. the deep fryer keeps a constant temperature of 375 degrees which is perfect for funnel cakes, however, be sure to never overcrowd the fryer as it will cause a dip in the oils heat & cause soggy funnel cakes. after all, nobody wants a soggy funnel cake. happy frying!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- oil, for deep frying
- powdered sugar, for serving
- whipped cream, for serving
- 1 pint halved fresh strawberries, for serving
- line a baking sheet with paper towels & set aside until ready to use.
- in a blender add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract & nutmeg. blend until light & fluffy.
- in a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder & salt. slowly pour the egg mixture into the bowl & beat until batter comes together.
- transfer batter to a large disposable piping bag & cut a small opening at the tip.
- add oil to deep fryer & heat to 375 degrees. pipe batter in a circular motion to desired funnel cake size, the messier the shape the better.
- fry until golden brown (about 2 minutes), carefully turning the cake over once. fry the remaining side for 45 seconds.
- remove from fryer & transfer to prepared baking sheet to drain any excess oil. sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- when ready to serve, layer funnel cake with whipped cream & strawberries.