it is game day weekend!!!! you know what that means? endless amounts of the BEST kind of foods.. chili, nachos, wings, pizza. i mean, football! it means football. okay, but let's be real here, you don't need to be a football fan to enjoy the superbowl. host a party & whip up a killer spread! i will be spending it in toronto this weekend & i can't wait to be back in the city. it feels like it has been forever! but before i head off to my weekend away, here is the recipe for this three bean vegetarian chili.
when hosting parties, there are SO many dietary restrictments you have to be cautious of. so leave the meat for the sliders, burgers or wings & keep the chili meatless. i love setting up a little station with various toppings for chili. i usually do cheddar cheese, guacamole, sour cream & something crunchy. i served this chili up with black bean habanero harvest snaps! they have the perfect kick of spice as i tend to make the chili a bit more mild for people who can't handle spice as well as others. for those who LOVE spice (cough, my dad) they can pile on as many habanero harvest snaps as their heart desires! they are even gluten free incase you have a gluten intolerant guest as well. this chili is seriously for everyone! so happy football weekend. i can't wait to see what everyone is cooking up.
go broncos!!!!! errr i mean patriots?
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 stocks of celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust this based on your spice preference)
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 cups of low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 jar of crushed tomatoes
- cilantro, to garnish
- sour cream, to garnish
- black bean habanero harvest snaps, to garnish
- in a large pot over medium heat add the red bell pepper, yellow or green bell pepper, celery, carrots, red onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin & cayenne pepper. cook until onions turn translucent, about 15 minutes.
- add in the chickpeas, black beans & red kidney beans. cook for an additional minute or two.
- pour in the vegetable stock & crushed tomatoes. stir until the two are evenly mixed in.
- bring to a boil & then reduce to a simmer. cook with the lid on for one hour.
- remove from heat & serve hot!
- top with cilantro, sour cream, habanero harvest snaps & whatever your heart desires!
this post was created in partnership with harvest snaps! thank you for supporting the brands that keep me doing what i love. xo