okay LAST recipe before you get started on your easter long weekend gatherings. if you aren't a huge baker & want a super simple dessert to whip up (pun intended), these honey meringues are for you! i didn't think something so simple as whipped egg whites & sugar could taste so good. even the pre-cooked batter.. i seriously couldn't stop snacking on it. the outside is light & crispy while the inside is soft & airy. it literally melts in your mouth, which made me think it was acceptable to eat half the batch once the photos were done. i can't believe i used to flick off all the meringue on my lemon meringue pies growing up, for shame. i created this recipe using beekeeper's natural honey which is available exclusively on giftagram! beekeeper's naturals is a company whose main cause is to help out our fuzzy little bee friends. with save the bee signs constantly posted around the city of toronto, i don't think the majority of us realize how much bees actually do for us & how badly we need them. was jerry seinfeld's the bee movie not enough to scare you?! haha you can learn more over on the beekeeper's naturals site. happy easter! xo
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter or vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bee keeper's raw honey
- 1/2 cup almonds, for sprinkling (optional)
- preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
- gradually add sugar, followed by cream of tarter & vanilla extract until egg whites reach stiff peaks. mixture should be smooth & glossy.
- on a parchment lined baking tray pipe (or spoon) meringues into a circular cookie shape. drizzle each meringue with the raw honey.
- bake for one hour, turn off oven & let the meringues rest in the oven for another hour.
- drizzle with additional honey & sprinkle with slivered almonds if desired!