this year my mom planted her first real garden. herbs, tomato, cucumber, pepper, green beans & zucchini. now that we are late into summer everything has been growing rapidly.. including this massive zucchini pictured above. what does one do with a ten pound zucchini!?!? make zucchini pineapple bread, zucchini fritters & chocolate zucchini muffins of course! this is a super easy one bowl + wooden spoon hand mixed batter. the muffins are moist, chocolately & just the right level of sweetness to still be categorized as breakfast (without feeling like you are eating chocolate for breakfast). so if you have a giant zucchini you forgot to pick from your garden, now you know what to do with it.
ingredients (makes 20-24 muffins)
LEVEL: very modest
- 1.5 cups raw sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (can be reduced to 3/4 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- 4 cups freshly grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchinis)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon stir together sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and almond extract. add grated zucchini.
- sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg. pour into your mixing bowl and mix until ingredients are just combined.
- fill greased or lined muffin tins 3/4 full. bake for 15-20 minutes.