this cake. oh my gosh, this cake. it is like biting into the strawberry cake of my dreams! i can't even begin to describe how delicious it turned out. i wanted to create a simple, one bowl dessert for mother's day coming up this weekend. something that could be served as a breakfast treat in bed or as a dessert with coffee & a scoop of vanilla ice cream. adding the valrhona dulcey baking chips takes things to a whole new level. the dulcey chocolate is smooth, creamy & blonde in colour. it has a toasty & buttery taste with 32% cocoa.
if you weren't sure what to make your mom this sunday, then look no further! i baked the cake in REVOL's belle cuisine black porcelain square baking dish with handles. REVOL's pieces are all hand made in france & made to last. the handles are cast in the same mold to keep them strong & sturdy. i used the 8x8 square baking dish (it is available in three sizes) as it is the perfect size for coffee cakes & brownies! because this is a dessert that is served straight from the pan, i always opt for a baking dish that presents beautifully at the table too. just try not to eat it all before your mom gets a slice! you might be better off making two:)
NOTE: if you have trouble locating the dulcey chocolate baking chips, any quality white chocolate chunks or chips will work as a substitue.
for the cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup valrhona dulcey 32% baking chocolate, halved
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, quatered
- powdered sugar, for dusting
for the cake
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease & flour an 8-inch square baking dish.
- in a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder & sea salt.
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the brown sugar & butter.
- add the eggs one at a time until incorporated, followed by the vanilla extract.
- add the yogurt followed by the milk. beat until smooth.
- gradually add the flour mixture until batter comes together, about 60 seconds.
- fold in the dulcey baking chocolate & strawberries.
- transfer batter to prepared baking dish.
- bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. let cool to room temperature.
- dust with powderd sugar & serve!