how freaking amazing does this mac and cheese look? not to toot my own horn, but when i pulled this out of the oven i could barely finish taking pictures before diving into it. the top is so crispy & bubbly! i didn't even feel the need to put a bread crumb topping. usually the bread crumb topping is my favourite part of a baked mac & cheese, but honestly this one didn't need it at all. the aged cheddar mixed with the broccoli & chicken provided more then enough flavour. broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables & it pairs perfectly with cheddar cheese. this is a good way to sneak some vegetables into your kids (or your mans) dinner.
i baked the mac & cheese in the cutest white porcelain chicken roaster from REVOL. it is such a unique roasting pan that can be used as a baking dish, roaster for a whole chicken, salad bowl or as some decor in the kitchen! my grandma used to have a very similar chicken dish on her counter & she always hid the candy in it. i might just have to do the same thing with this one. lastly, it is made of culinary porcelain just like the pasta bowls so it is durable and dishwasher safe.
now fire up that oven and lets bake some mac and cheese! we are going to need it to stay warm and toasty this season. who want's a bowl?!
- 1 pound macaroni, cooked to al dente
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups old white cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 cups steamed broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken breast, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup asiago cheese, for topping (optional)
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- cook pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente (use package time).
- in a separate pot over medium heat add the butter & flour. stir constantly & cook until a lump free roux forms, about 2 minutes.
- add the shallots, garlic & dijon. cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- add the half & half, whole milk & bay leaf. simmer for ten minutes.
- remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese until it is fully melted.
- fold in macaroni, broccoli & chicken.
- pour into desired baking dish and sprinkle with additional cheese (about 1 cup).
- bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.