does anyone else have a ton of frozen cranberries left over from christmas? i always buy a big bag of fresh cranberries (pretty much the only time my grocery store carries them fresh) to make homemade cranberry sauce. then i am left with a giant bag to use up which i end up throwing in the freezer. not that i am complaining.. i absolutely love baking with tart cranberries. you can add them in fruit crisp, pies, muffins, loaf cakes, etc.. CUE: these muffins. the texture is light & fluffy, with a slight tang from the cream cheese & a little crunchy top from the sprinkled sugar. this batter will work as a perfect base for any fruit, chocolate, or nuts you would like to swap in!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup raw sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider (can substitute equal parts orange juice or lemon juice)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- in a mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt. set aside.
- in the bowl of a standmixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese & eggs until smooth. add the vanilla, oil, cider & milk.
- slowly add in the dry ingredients & beat until batter appears lump free. stir in cranberries.
- evenly divide the batter amongst 12 lined cupcake tins & sprinkle the top with raw sugar.
- bake for 15-20 minutes, until muffins are golden brown & cooked throughout.