okay, okay, i know it's not even close to pizza friday yet.. but i guess i am giving you a head start on this weekends eats! i am cooking with kale, AGAIN. what has 2016 done to me?! but seriously, i cannot believe how good it tasted on this pizza. the sautéed mushrooms, onions, kale, ham & garlic would be a perfect base for just about anything! when i told my boyfriend i was going to sauté in some kale for the pizza he seemed to doubt me. once he ate the final product, he said it was the best pizza we've ever made. that is saying a lot, because we make almost as much pizza as like.. papa johns. this dough can be made the day of, but i highly recommend you make it the night before & let it rest in the fridge in a sealed ziplock bag. something about this step makes the dough so much better. i used a piping hot emile henry pizza stone to cook this up, but a good old baking tray will do the trick!
(makes enough for two round pizzas or one tray)
for the dough
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 2.5-3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
for the pizza
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (i used white)
- 2-3 kale leafs, roughly chopped & stems removed
- 1/2 cup smoked sausage, diced (or ham, pancetta, etc)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2-3 cups grated swiss or gouda cheese
- extra virgin olive oil, for pizza
for the dough
- in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, add water, yeast, olive oil, honey and salt. let it stand for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to activate and become bubbly.
- with the mixer on low, add the flour 1 cup at a time until the dough begins to come together. raise the mixer to medium speed to knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- once the dough becomes elastic and smooth in texture, roll it into a ball on a floured surface. transfer it to a greased bowl and cover with a towel.
- allow dough to rise for 1 hour, or until it doubles in size. if you are going to let it rest over night, once the dough doubles in size place it into a zip lock bag. seal it tight & let it sit in the fridge till you are ready to use it the next day! otherwise, roll out dough once it doubles in size.
for the pizza
- preheat oven to 450 degrees. if using a pizza stone, preheat with the stone in the oven.
- in a skillet over medium low heat add the olive oil, onions & garlic. sauté until the onions begin to turn translucent. add the mushrooms. once the onions have caramelized & the mushrooms have softened, add the kale, smoked sausage, salt & pepper. cook until the kale has wilted down.
- on a floured surface roll out the pizza dough to the desired thickness & size.
- brush with olive oil, salt & pepper. sprinkle generously with cheese followed by the skillet mixture.
- bake for 10-15 minutes, until the crust is cooked throughout. broil for 30 seconds to crisp up the edges & brown the cheese slightly.
- optional: finish off with some freshly grated parmesan before serving. i put that sh!t on everything.