SEPTEMBER!!!! i am probably most excited for this month then i am any other month. especially because it is no longer signals back to school time for me. instead, i just get to take it all in & enjoy what early fall has to offer: pumpkins, apples, corn mazzes & more pumpkins! i already decorated the house earlier this week for fall. justin claims it was too early but i don't think it is ever too early when it comes to fall. we rock that pumpkin spice soap all year long! next on my list is to decorate the front porch when the real pumpkins start popping up at the farm. i am going all out this year... whymsical white pumpkins galore! we got our rejuvenation x o&g studios rocking chairs the other week so i am ten times more motivated to get the porch ready.
okay, but enough about my fall obsession! let's talk about these little cakelets. i had to kick september off with an apple recipe because apples are starting to pop up at the local farmers market. this recipe is infused with a homemade salted caramel, but you can also go the extra mile and drizzle a little on top too! i grated the apple into the cakes so the cakelets aren't filled with apple chunks. i baked them in the cutest nordic ware "apple slice cakelet pan"! i am just in love with it. the pan is made of cast aluminum & features all different sliced apple designs rather then just the same one. i think kids would love these as a back to school snack! i gave the pan a quick spray & not a single cakelet stuck.
p.s. nordic ware make a pumpkin pan too! i so need that for october when pumpkin takes over my kitchen. it is called the "autumn delights cakelet pan".
happy september friends & enjoy the long weekend:) xo
for the salted caramel
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
for the apple cakelets
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons salted caramel (see recipe above)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, grated
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- powdered sugar, for serving
- salted caramel, for serving
for the salted caramel
- in a saucepot add the sugar and water. bring the pan to a boil while wiping down the crystals that form on the sides of the pan using a pastry brush (do not stir, i repeat, do NOT stir).
- continue to boil until the mixture turns to a deep amber colour, approximately 5 minutes. be sure not to burn the caramel! it will go from a deep amber to burnt sugar VERY quickly.
- remove from heat and immediately whisk in the butter, cream & salt. cool to room temperature before serving.
for the cakelets
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- in a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, raw sugar, salted caramel and vanilla. stir in the grated apples.
- in a separate mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. add this mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until batter just comes together (do not over mix).
- lightly grease apple slice cakelet pan and pour a tablespoon of batter into each cakelet.
- bake for 20 minutes or until the top bounces back to touch.
- dust with powdered sugar & drizzle with salted caramel before serving.